On July 12, 1918 Reverend and Sister Johnny Wright, Brother and Sister J.G. Smith, Brother and Sister Jack Brim, Brother Jerry Norman and Brother John Boom met at 11th and Carr Street with the purpose of organizing a church. Following the direction of the Lord, the Mount Moriah Missionary Baptist Church was started.
In 1923 under the leadership of Reverend Boatman Robertson of Memphis, Tennessee, the church moved to 1232 North 12th Street. As the membership grew the need for a larger space grew. In 1924, under the leadership of Reverend Dan Davis and a membership of more than 500, the church moved to 1401 Carr. In 1935, the church was renamed to the Metropolitan Missionary Baptist Church.
On June 17, 1973, under the leadership of Pastor Emeritus William J. Thompson, the church purchased new property and a motorcade led the members to their current location at 5300 Helen in Jennings, Missouri. Under his leadership, the church had many accomplishments to include burning of the mortgage and laying of the cornerstone. In 1988, after 26 years of service, Reverend Thompson retired.
In 1991, the church elected their current leader, Reverend Leonard D. Dennis. Under his leadership, the church has continued to make many improvements to meet the growing needs of its congregation. These improvements included continued renovations and remodeling projects, and the purchase of additional property for the expansion of the parking lot. Our future plans include the building of a new edifice to continue to meet our growing needs.
With God as our leader and the Holy Spirit as our guide, we strive to support our mission statement: “Engaging in our Father’s business through praising, preaching, reaching and teaching". Our goal is to shape and mold our members to be disciples for Christ and prepare them for ministry outside to bring souls inside.
We are a church that “Walk by faith and not by sight” II Corinthians 5:7.
"In Loving Memory" Leonard D. Dennis
Chairmen of Deacons